Typically most users just use a category-based filter in Revit, but sometimes a selection-based filter is very useful if there is no rule to be applied.
Selection-Based filter allows to select elements manually and save the selection as a filter. Follow the instructions below to create a selection-based filter.
1. Select Elements which needs to be filtered in a view.
2. Go to Manage tab > Selection panel, and click on “Save” icon to create a selection-based filter.
3. Type a filter name, and click “OK”.
4. To edit an existing filter, go to Manage tab > Selection panel, and click on “Edit” icon.
5. Select a filter to be modified, and click on “Edit” button.
6. You can add or remove elements from a selection-based filter like a group.